My primary objective is to help clients resolve their disputes in a timely and cost-effective manner, engaging in creative problem solving and strategic thinking. I am also a skilled courtroom advocate who will zealously fight for and protect my clients’ interests.
In addition to my focus on estate litigation and administration, I also maintain an active practice in other areas of commercial and civil litigation, including employment matters and business disputes.
I have appeared at all levels of court in Alberta and have significant experience utilizing alternative dispute resolution mechanisms such as private mediation, arbitration, and judicial dispute resolution.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Recent cases of note:
- McAndrew Estate (Re), 2020 ABQB 614: Successfully proved the validity of a holographic will in the face of two prior wills and allegations of undue influence and lack of testamentary capacity.
- Eisenrieder Estate v. Eisenrieder, 2020 ABQB 392: Successfully defeated a claim against the deceased’s estate by the widower of a beneficiary and obtained significant costs award to compensate the estate.
- Kamal Holdings & Ventures Inc. v. First Calgary Financial Credit Union Ltd., 2019 ABQB 27: Successfully applied for summary dismissal of a claim against a real estate appraiser for alleged negligence arising out of a judicial sale by invoking the defence of expert witness immunity.
- 1408418 Alberta Ltd. v. Oslund, 2015 ABQB 560: Successfully resisted a summary application for relief under the shareholders oppression provision of the Alberta Business Corporations Act.
- Free Lunch Podcast by the CM Group – Estate Planning Pitfalls with Judd